Saturday, November 6, 2010

God is missing, and they think we stole him.

We buried you today, Skippy. Your Superman t-shirt and Green Lantern ring were very fitting. My heart broke, and I felt overwhelmed with grief. They are selfish feelings because I want you here with me, but they are real and painful all the same. It was marvelous to see so many hundreds of people cramming the funeral home and waiting in line. Everyone bustling to see you just one last time. Everyone still in shock and disbelief over your death. You are loved.

I remember the first time I met you. You came into my freshman English class in high school and began quoting Shakespeare. To this day, I still have no idea what you were doing or why you were there. But I thought you were pretty nifty all the same :o)

I remember going to the Green Day concert with you. I wanted to sneak my camera in so you shoved it down your pants for safe keeping. They checked my purse, but they didn't check your bulge. I was tempted to let you keep the camera after that.

I remember you forcing my future brother-in-law to pole dance with a broom on the party bus for his combined bachelor/bachelorette party. Then slapping his ass repeatedly. 

I remember the last time I saw you. You were rocking the pink fedora and Michael Jackson moves on the dance floor at Nicole and Brian's wedding. You were the life of the party.

I remember the last thing I said to you. "You're Skiptastic!" Though they aren't the greatest last words, I'm glad we shared them. 


I am ever so thankful for your friendship. I will never forget your smile, your tattoos, your smartass comments, your love of the TV show LOST, and the Harry Potter movies. If I'm Harry Potter's Ginny Weasley, then you're his Ron. We are all lucky to have known you. I feel especially lucky to have been your friend. 

So long, Skippy. See you on the other side.


~Courtney Slater

No comments:

Post a Comment