Friday, November 5, 2010

Easy to love, hard to let go

I wasn't sure I wanted to post here or anywhere about Jason. When he went into the hospital I, like most assumed he would go in, have a tough time and come out feeling better. We were hopeful that this time he would finally be able to move on with the rest of his life. The call that Sunday morning hit Teri and I like a bolt of lightning.

I first met Jason when he was a kid. We can't say for sure what year it was, but probably around 1993. His parents became good friends of ours, and often came out to see my band. Ralph (Jason's dad) even worked with the band for our bigger shows, acting as security or helping haul gear, etc. So Jason and Angie were around us a lot. Jason and I connected immediately over our love of video games... I think he liked that he knew an "adult" who was into games and comics and sci fi.

As time passed it became a regular thing to see Ralph, Marla, Jason and Angie backstage before shows, and then out in the crowd smiling at us through each song. I can't tell you how many times I would crack a stupid joke between songs, and look right at Jason to see him either laughing hysterically or grinning and shaking his head at me. As many have said, he told it like it was, even if it was just a facial expression.

Over the years we were privileged to watch Jason and Angie grow. The love in that family was admirable and never in question, even through the challenges they faced. Teri and I marveled as Jason and Angie became centered and intelligent teenagers and eventually people who were not just our friends' kids, but good friends in their own right.

When he was in college, my wife Teri hired Jason as an intern, giving him an opportunity to work in the field that he eventually made his career. When he needed advice about work or life, he often called us both for our insight.

When he moved back to Des Moines I remember encouraging him to join the "twitterverse." I was very active online at that time and thought it might be a good way for him to make friends... obviously you all know that worked out pretty well!

The night before he moved back to Denver Teri and I had dinner with Jason. We talked for a long time about the path his life had taken, and the opportunities that were in front of him. He was as happy as I had ever seen him. Although I was very sad to see him leave, I knew he was following his heart... as he always did. As he walked out the door, he said "Love you guys, now I gotta go pack!" We laughed, shook our heads at him and said "We love you too, Jay."

This weekend I will help carry Jason's casket to his gravesite. It's impossible to comprehend. But the things that I have seen online, on this blog, twitter and facebook and in emails from many, confirm everything I ever thought about Jason...

He was easy to love, and is hard to let go.

Yesterday I fired up my XBox and saw his avatar on screen, it's head down and sleeping.

I cried, and I played.

- Andy TeBockhorst (flysupes)

No comments:

Post a Comment